When you’re going to a new and exciting place, you may feel as though you have to leave someone important behind: your pet.
While the idea of traveling without your furry companion may undoubtedly put a damper on your travel plans, it doesn’t have to be this way.
In today’s world, it’s easier than ever to travel with your pet, even if you're taking a plane.
Whether you have a dog, cat, rabbit, bird, ferret, hamster, or reptile, chances are you can bring him or her along for the ride!
That being said, you might be wondering if it's a good idea to bring Fido on that family vacay. It may seem like a hassle or it may but your pet iguana through a lot of unnecessary stress.
It is a good idea, for lots of reasons. In fact, there are countless reasons to bring your little sidekick along with you on your travels.
Before you know it, you’ll be packing a separate suitcase for Whiskers to join you on all of your future travels!
Here are 57 awesome reasons to travel with your pet!
- 1They make great companions
- 2They relieve stress and anxiety
- 3It eliminates the need to arrange for pet care
- 4Pets help you meet new people on your trip - who doesn’t love new friends?
- 5They encourage you to be active throughout your travels
- 6They prevent homesickness
- 7Traveling helps to socialize your pet
- 8They bring a sense of security
- 9They bring a “solo trip” to the next level
- 10They can help you connect with locals
- 11You don’t have to worry about them while you’re away
- 12They might even help you get a date!
- 13They don’t have to miss you while you’re gone - pets have feelings, too!
- 14You’ll always have someone to talk to - and they’re great listeners!
- 15You can take some pretty epic pictures for your pet’s Instagram account (or your own)
- 16Pets can ease flying fears
- 17Pets can’t talk back…
- 18...and they also won’t boss you around. Even with a pet companion, you’ll be the boss of your trip!
- 19Your pets can make their own friends on your travels
- 20You won’t have to eat alone - table for two, please!
- 21Many historical monuments allow (small) pets as visitors
- 22Sharing your travels with your pets may mean sharing some of your passions with them
- 23Traveling with your pet can help train them and improve their behavior
- 24Many pets can sniff out delicious food and help you decide where to eat
- 25Your pet will force you to slow down and savor every moment of your trip
- 26You’ll discover new things to do on your trip as you search for pet-friendly activities
- 27Pets act as built-in entertainment
- 28They’re a companion you don’t have to share the hotel bathroom with!
- 29Pets won’t complain about the pace you set - you can choose how you navigate your trip!
- 30Travel helps your pet to get used to and love their crate or container
- 31It will help you and your pet gain mutual trust
- 32It expands your pet’s world from what they see each and every day
- 33Pets need - and deserve - vacations just like we do!
- 34You’ll never get sick of your pet - you’re used to their constant presence, anyways
- 35They don’t mind taking breaks - you can leave them in your room from time to time throughout the travel
- 36It helps keep you accountable to keeping your pets vaccinations up to date
- 37It makes your pets better at walking on a leash (if they’re a four-legged friend!)
- 38It helps pets become comfortable with multiple methods of transportation - planes, trains, and automobiles!
- 39Traveling with pets helps them become accustomed to changing environments
- 40Pets can act as added security in a hotel room - you’ll have your watch dog with you
- 41Pets act as a conversation starter with new people
- 42Your pet can help you find common ground with strangers
- 43Traveling keeps your pets healthy by encouraging them to exercise
- 44You and your pet will learn what supplies they truly need and will be able to get rid of items at home that don’t go missed during your travels
- 45Pets encourage you to enjoy the little things and to take in every moment
- 46You’ll likely be amongst other pet lovers as you’ll choose pet-friendly hotels
- 47You won’t have to worry about your pet experiencing separation anxiety while you’re gone
- 48You won’t have to pay for a pet-sitter or kennel visit
- 49The experience will allow you to be more in-tune with your pet’s feelings and needs
- 50They’ll make you “go with the flow” more on your trip
- 51You’ll become a more well-rounded traveler!
- 52Pets are usually willing to share a snack with you
- 53Your pet will likely meet other pets along the way, getting to know and be more comfortable around other animals
- 54Staying on your pet’s schedule may help you overcome jet lag
- 55They act as an “instant icebreaker” when it comes to meeting new people
- 56You’ll create unforgettable new memories with your pet that you’ll treasure forever
- 57It prevents you from having to leave a family member behind!
As we mentioned above, pets deserve vacations just like we do!
They’re sure to enjoy a trip with their best friend, so bring them along for the ride and you’ll learn to love having them as a travel companion and watching their world expand.
As your trip progresses, your bond with your pet is sure to grow and you’ll likely end up wondering why you haven’t brought them along on all of your previous trips.